Home / Family Law / Depend on Legal Experience When Contesting a Will

Depend on Legal Experience When Contesting a Will

It would be better if you didn’t have to answer one key question involving wills: Can I contest this document? It’s better if a loved one leaves a will to satisfy everyone who remains behind. Unfortunately, this doesn’t happen in every situation. There may be times, for example, when someone who deserves to be remembered in the will is left out intentionally or unintentionally.

In this situation, you should have experienced legal counsel to get you through what can be an emotional and confusing time. The general rule is that a person who passes away has the right to leave property to anyone who he or she wishes to leave it to. He or she creates a will outlining his or her wishes and containing details on how this property should be distributed. The common procedure leaves assets to children, spouses, life partners, or parents, in most cases.


There are, however, times when the deceased has instructed that assets be left to a friend, a charity, or someone who is not a family member. Even pets have been named as beneficiaries in wills. When this occurs, family members and dependent members of the household can take specific steps to contest the will of a deceased individual. Generally, the goal is for those individuals to get what they feel they deserve.

However, it’s not enough to just tell someone that you’re challenging the will. You should enlist the aid of contesting a will lawyers who have the knowledge and experience necessary to get the positive result that you want and deserve. It’s essential to understand the laws and guidelines of the place in which the challenge will take place. This is generally determined by state laws, in most cases, which is another reason to have legal assistance.

For Good Reason

In most locations, there is a list of people who can rightfully contest a will. That list includes wife or husband of the deceased, child of the deceased, former wife or husband of the deceased. In addition, a person who was wholly or partly dependent on the deceased, was a grandchild of the deceased, or was a member of the household of the deceased has the right to bring action against the estate.

Your lawyer can help you determine that you are an eligible person and assist you in showing the court that there is a need to change the will, giving you financial benefit. There is also a phrase that your lawyer can assist with once you’ve established your qualifying relationship. You must then show that there’s a moral obligation to provide for your advancement in life, such as maintenance and education. If you want to contest a will, work with your legal representative to show that the deceased should have provided for you in the final will and testament.


Check Also

Everything you need to know about divorce

So you have at last taken this choice to run with separation, lawyers will help …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *