A lasting power of attorney enables you to name someone to make decisions on your behalf, or act on your behalf, in case you cannot make them for yourself. A lasting power of attorney is only valid in Wales and England.
Why People Use LPA Services
You may need lasting powers of attorney services in Sutton Coldfield for the following reasons:
- You are in hospital for a short duration and need a temporary lasting power of attorney (LPA) to make sure your obligations are met.
- You have an accident and need to appoint someone to pay your bills.
- You have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia, and need to appoint someone to take care of your finances.
If you do not want a person handling your affairs to have sole access to your financial accounts, you can do the following:
- Establish a standing order for paying a specific amount.
- Establish direct debits for the payment of regular bills.
- Use a prepaid card to control spending by the attorney.
- Change your bank account to a joint account, limiting the account to cheques and adding a mandate that requires your signature.
The Benefits of an LPA
The main benefits of establishing an LPA include the following:
- You can plan, ahead of time, how you want an individual to act on your behalf.
- A restriction can be included in an LPA that is not activated until you cannot make decisions for yourself.
Processing an LPA Application
At the present time, it takes about 16 weeks for the processing of an LPA application.